Sunday, September 20, 2009

20 mile long run

Yesterday I went on an easy short run of 4 miles to recover from friday's workout and to prep me for today's longrun. That gave me about 51 miles for last week.

Today I embarked on a 20 mile longrun, or actually it was only 19.76 according to mapmyrun, but I'm gonna round up because it sounds a lot more awesome when you say you went for a 20 mile run. I went from carroll gardens up through williamsburg and greenpoint, over the pulaski bridge into queens. Then I went over the Queensboro Bridge and ran along 59th street to the west side highway where I went down to chambers, cut over to the brooklyn bridge and home. I did it in about 2 hours and 26 minutes which about a 7:23/mile pace.

Overall I felt ok. Usually on my long long runs I will take a water bottle with me, but today just for the hell of it I decided to take one of those Gu gel packets with me. I ate the gu around mile 15 and I don't know if it actually helped me finish my run or not, but when you have been running for almost 2 hours and you are sweating and beyond tired and all you want is to stop and drink something cold and sleep forever, it is pretty disgusting to ingest something which can only be compared to consuming warm paste. If I didn't have water on me, I think I would have been screwed.

Most of the run I felt alright as I said. Around mile 18 though, right after I got over the brooklyn bridge back into brooklyn, much to my regret I let the exhaustion in my legs get the best of me and I stopped to walk about 200 meters and stop at a water fountain. Other then that, i think everything was okay. I got home and drank a ton of chocolate milk and gatorade and ate some bread and string cheese and took a 30 minute shower. Then I headed to Jon's house to watch the Bears beat the Steelers and drink a bunch of beer and eat some hot dogs and hamburgers.

Tomorrow = rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment